main page of Trade Cards OnlineTrade Cards Online

Let us find for you the cards you need

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Community Rules Q&A
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Trade Cards Online Forum Index -> Chaotic TCG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
afjak
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject: Community Rules Q&A   PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:39 am Reply with quote

This thread is for anyone with questions on rules or card abilities that they need clarified. Doesn't matter if you're a new player or a veteran. If you have a question, post it here, and I or another player who knows can help you out.

Last edited by afjak on Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
afjak
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject: Abilities & Movement   PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:31 am Reply with quote

Snorvell wrote:
Does Vlar not get his ability if he sacs his gear after it's flipped? Also, are you not allowed to use Song of Stasis or Defender's Song after they attack?

Rules rechecked:

The short answer to the first one is no.

The long answer is that Vlar's triggered ability has a thing (unofficially) called an "intervening 'if' clause". Both conditions need to be true for Vlar’s ability to trigger (combat has to begin and Vlar has to be unequipped), and they both need to be true when the ability resolves or it will do nothing. So no, you can't actually sac his gear in response to the trigger because he'd never trigger to begin with.

-------

Moving on to that question on Mugic. A player's turn structure is made of the following steps.

1. Location Step - The Active Player flips the Active Location face up. (Mugic and abilities may not be used before this step, but may be used if the Location has a triggered ability.)
2. Action Step - The Active Player must move at least one Creature they control.
>Combat Step - Begin combat (one per turn). Optional on later turns unless a card effect says otherwise.
3. Recovery Step - End of turn; remove all damage and additional effects from Creatures on the board that were not defeated, then place the Active Location on the bottom of your Location Deck (or on the board if it's a Mirage Location) and pass the turn. (Mugic and abilities may not be used during or after this step.)

Between any of those steps, either player may use Mugic or activated abilities, but not during. (The Defending Player always has priority if this is the case.) Once the Action Step begins, you lose all opportunity to use Mugic or abilities until combat begins. So you wouldn't be able to use Ghar'lag to remove Range and Swift from opposing Creatures at the same time as they decide to attack with Kolmo.

If you suspect your opponent could potentially have cards to use prior to the Action Step (e.g. Harmonies of the Wind, Defender's Song, etc.) or if you have a Creature like Zamool who would stop effects during combat - even if neither case is true, you should extend the courtesy of allowing your opponent the opportunity to begin a Burst with any Mugic or Activated abilities before the Action Step and vice versa.

Sidenote: If a pre-movement Burst should occur, after it's resolution, both players are once again presented the opportunity to begin a Burst between turn steps. This is why you really shouldn't use Cadence Clash on a Song of Stasis - your opponent simply be able to cast it again, and you would be short one dispel.

Last edited by afjak on Wed May 18, 2016 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
afjak
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject: Elementproof   PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:25 am Reply with quote

majorcharizard wrote:
What is the meaning for Waterproof 10?

Waterproof 10 is an example of an ability generally called "Elementproof X". The Chaotic Rulebook defines this mechanic as follows:

Chaotic TCG Official Rulebook wrote:
Elementproof X: This Triggered Ability indicates that a Creature with this ability gains X Energy when engaged against a Creature with the indicated Elemental Type, until the end of the turn. Multiple instances of this ability on a card are cumulative.

Lets say you have a Creature with Waterproof 10. When Creature becomes engaged with a Creature who has water, they gain 10 energy until the end of the turn. Multiple sources of the same Elementproof or Elementproof of multiple types will stack. If that Creature gains the designated element after combat has already started, you won't gain energy from Elementproof.

Here's the thing about this mechanic though. If the opposing Creature loses the designated element for your Elementproof, you keep the energy you gained from this. If the opponent's ability would prevent you from healing or gaining energy after this ability resolved, you keep the energy you gained from this. If they have a card that blocks Activated Abilities from being used (e.g Dranakis Threshold), it won't stop you from gaining energy from this. Elementproof is a great mechanic that has the potential to give you INSANE amounts of energy right at the start of combat.

Last edited by afjak on Wed May 18, 2016 11:06 am; edited 2 times in total
afjak
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject: Healing vs Gaining   PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote

majorcharizard wrote:
What does it mean by "Target Creature gains...." or "Heal... Target Creature" ?

Whenever you see the word "Target" without other specified words accompanying it, that means any valid target you choose. Healing and gaining energy, however, are two similar but different things.

When a Creature heals, they remove any damage dealt by X, but they cannot exceed their maximum energy value by doing so. If a Creature you control is missing 10 out of 45 energy and Vidav pays a Mugic counter to heal that Creature 15 energy, they heal back up to 45 energy.

Gaining has been said to be better than healing because it increases both a Creature's current AND maximum energy value, which lets you exceed your printed energy total. If a Creature you control is missing 10 out of 45 energy and Drabe pays 1 Mugic counter for that Creature to gain 15 energy, their current energy becomes 50 out of a maximum of 60. Here are some examples of the difference.

Sidenote: It's very important to note that healing and gaining energy, while similar, are not the same thing. When an ability would prevent you from healing but does not also prevent you from gaining energy, you may still gain energy.

Last edited by afjak on Wed May 18, 2016 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
afjak
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject: Hive   PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote

majorcharizard wrote:
Can you explain how Hive ability works?

Hive is a universal game state, meaning that when it's active, it affects all players. Hive is always inactive unless one player uses a card ability to activate Hive. When Hive is activated, all abilities that say "Hive: ..." take effect; likewise, these grants are lost when Hive is deactivated. Hive always deactivates at the end of the turn unless a card specifically says otherwise.

The ways you can activate Hive are also pretty diverse. Some cards like Illexia only need you to pay counters from that creature to activate Hive; some Mugic like Intense Ployphony or Locations like Mount Pillar can activate Hive as well. Very rarely will you ever get cards like Skartalas or the Hive Amber that require sacrifice.

Last edited by afjak on Fri May 20, 2016 1:30 am; edited 2 times in total
afjak
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject: Scanned Stats   PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:58 am Reply with quote

majorcharizard wrote:
What does Scanned Energy/Scanned Discipline do?

Scanned Energy/Disciplines mean what's printed on the card. I'll use my Chaor card as an example (these are his real stats and code).

If I were to equip my Chaor with Gauntlets of Might, his power would become 125. The opponent targets him with Duality Dirge to set his disciplines to their scanned values. His Power would then become 100 because that is the number printed on his card.

Sidenote: "Mugic Ability" is basically a way of referring to the number of Mugic counters printed on the card - pretty much scanned Mugic counters. For example, Chaor's Mugic ability is 3.

afjak
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject: Support   PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:25 am Reply with quote

majorcharizard wrote:
What is meant by Support Courage 5 in Yokkis?

The rulebook defines the "Support" mechanic as follows:
Support [statistic] X: This Innate Ability indicates that the Creature can improve its statistics by being adjacent to other Creature's of its Tribe. The value of the indicated [statistic] is increased by X for every Creature controlled by the same player that has the same tribal designation and is adjacent to that Creature on the Battleboard.

For every Overworlder you control adjacent to Yokkis, he'll gain 5 courage. Same with all of his other disciplines.
afjak
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:36 am Reply with quote

shadowdemon wrote:
Does Monophone Mayhem last the whole game?

Like almost every other effect that isn't an innate ability (always "on") and doesn't have tokens to keep track of or cards that say otherwise, Monophone Mayhem only lasts until the end of the turn it was used. The rulebook says this:
All card abilities that are not tracked by cards or tokens stop at the end of any player's turn, even if the ability doesn't say so.

Monophone Mayhem - like every other Mugic - only lasts until the end of the turn. As a general rule, effects and changes to statistics that do not use any kind of marker to keep track of follow suit. The only true exception to this is General's Standard, which specifically says that its effect does not end at the end of the turn.

Last edited by afjak on Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
kid_chaor

Canceled user

Subject: Battles   PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote

I seem to on by myself a lot with no one to battle, so what would the best time be online? I live in Australia so please let me know in AEST
afjak
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject: Re: Battles   PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:00 pm Reply with quote

kid_chaor wrote:
I seem to on by myself a lot with no one to battle, so what would the best time be online? I live in Australia so please let me know in AEST

People do show up here randomly. I try to check in about every hour or so. User shadowdemon is actually on pretty frequently, so he may be able to help you as well. The most traffic I've been seeing here is around 7:00 AM - 10:00 AM your time, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by afjak on Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
chiodosin1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:26 am Reply with quote

I don't know if this is still a thing but I have a question

If a card tell you to move/look at the top card of your location deck and you have the active location does it target the active location or the location directly under it? Follow up: if it does target the active location what if that location is sent to the bottom is a new one revealed even if the effect doesn't specify so?

(good example=flagamp)
afjak
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:42 am Reply with quote

chiodosin1 wrote:
I don't know if this is still a thing but I have a question

If a card tell you to move/look at the top card of your location deck and you have the active location does it target the active location or the location directly under it? Follow up: if it does target the active location what if that location is sent to the bottom is a new one revealed even if the effect doesn't specify so?

(good example=flagamp)

By "Top card", it means the one on top that isn't active. So if Condensation Ceremony was active, and the next card in that player's location deck was Iron Pillar, using Fla'gamp to look at their top card would show you Iron Pillar, which Fla'gamp can then send to the bottom.
burningfox12

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:51 am Reply with quote

Can I have creatures with "loyal" and generic (white) creatures in the same deck?
afjak
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:10 am Reply with quote

burningfox12 wrote:
Can I have creatures with "loyal" and generic (white) creatures in the same deck?

Most people would think so, but you actually cannot. The official text of Loyal reads: "A card with Loyal cannot be played in an army unless all other Creatures in that army share at least one of the same Tribes as the card with 'Loyal'."

Let's say you were trying to use Ursis in a deck with Chaor. Chaor's Loyal means any Creature going into the same deck needs to have Underworld as at least one of its tribes. Since Ursis has no tribe whatsoever, he wouldn't be able to pass the restriction and therefore wouldn't be allowed.

chiodosin1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:30 am Reply with quote

When A card says play your attack cards at random what do you do? I would figure that would mean using a random thing like a dice roll to determine which of your 3 attacks you play. Others have said simply flip the top card of your deck over and play that attack which makes sense too since its a random assortment of all your attack cards I just figured though that since it says "play" your attack cards you still play the ones in your hand since it doesn't specify on any cards I've seen that you would play straight from your deck.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Trade Cards Online Forum Index -> Chaotic TCG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: